Wingardium Leviosa!

Sunday, May 6, 2018

Arugam Kudah scribbles and drools... Day 2

Wave... From A-Bay



One we got off around Bastian Mawatha bus station... It's like no one has heard the name Bastian Bus Station or Terminal number 4. I really feel countries like India, Sri Lanka should just name roads after what they are popularly known as, these official names even officials don't know!

Finally we got some direction and then waited an hour and a half for the bus to move. If I thought Bollywood music sucked eggs, Sri Lankan music sucked the mother outta those eggs. The whole journey, from 10.30pm to 6am was some local band on loop. The bus seats were crammed, people we're getting picked along the way but it was really an overnight to remember. I'm glad it rained because everything was so much cooler. Our driver was literally Black Shumi. He just almost killed us at every turn... One way ticket to heaven, guaranteed.




When the bus says it will reach Arugam Bay at 6pm - he means it. No signal, traffic or stray animals could come in his way. He dropped me right outside my spot on the dot. Waved goodbye to Nadia and maybe will meet her for a beer or a meal.

The next part wasn't much fun. Asking for toiletries, towel, getting told it isn't part of the deal and then showing him my booking... Seriously annoying. This hotel has been way too much drama for the price I got it at and won't be recommending it. Finally crashed and burned only to be woken up half an hour later to be given breakfast for some reason at 7am. I ate it (had to ask for milk) and then crashed for the second time. Slept till 10.30 and met this guy who I may do the lagoon tour and the cook lunch with a local piece. Fingers crossed, if he can patch me in with a group because it's cheaper.



Walked down to the Dylan Surf School to say hello to Rochelle who I'd been in touch with for the surf classes. Got introduced to Chu Chu who would be my instructor. And then headed straight to the beach to soak in some sun, sand and sea.

I hadn't budgeted 2000 like for the tuk tuk ride for each surf lesson... Depending on which point they take us to. So yeah need to figure that part out because it is expensive. Going there again tomorrow.



So at 3pm Chu Chu and Rochelle who wanted to hit the waves too, came along, and we were off in our tuk tuk. Sri Lanka is just one majestic shade of green. The paddy is lovely to look at and I was lucky to witness three wild elephants doing their thing. Phenomenal!

Reached Panama Point which is a great spot for beginners. And well I have enough sea water in me to not be good for my kidney stones. Lol. The class was good, I think I did better than the class I took with Morgan Freeman two years ago. My body isn't hurting (yet) and I stayed on the board for a longer duration. So yayyyy!




Had something called coconut rotti and milk tea - belly full we headed back.

I'm already tanned. So much for stupid suntan lotion - all garbage. But will diligently apply a careful again tomorrow.

Was bumming about at the entrance when Nadia walked past with a few hostel friends. Lol. I really could not recognise her. Horrible with faces and names still. Shazam! Went for a drink and spent a good hour with a German girl who was also travelling for over a year -- she studied at JNU (seriously, what's with all these Delhi connections, universe???). Was nice talking to someone so lost in their own world and spending quality time just figuring themselves out.

I left at 9.45 because I really didn't wanna hang around and get sucked into drinking and the usual. Got back.. Jimmy Fallon and his hashtags kept me company. Spent an hour thinking about the year gone by and wondering about the gaping hole left by someone who doesn't know I exist. Or couldn't care less. Have decided on a few things. Now to stick by it.

Good night!


No comments: