Wingardium Leviosa!

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Peth Special: Jain Chicken for Rs 400 only (Trek to Kothaligad)

About two weeks back, an animated Ms Frost interrupted my peaceful breakfast session with an invitation of sorts for an adventure trek. God knows why I said 'YES' even though some of my best buddies preferred to say 'NO' to the whole affair.


The eagerly anticipated trek to Peth was supposed to get underway with all us trekkies gathering at Dadar station. The signs were quite ominous as Ms Frost and Lil Hobbit (Movin) made me wait for a freakin 900 seconds on the wrong platform!

The 3 idiots finally met, all set, for a two hour train journey, which actually turned out to be a love train for some sexually charged gay men. Somehow, I managed to make my way through the compartment — saving my precious izzat — carrying the supplies I needed for the weekend on my back.

Ms Frost, after abandoning us at Dadar Station for a seat in the empty ladies coach, joined us midway as she couldn't stay away from us for too long. Finally, we reached Karjat at 12.15 am not before some heated debates, to put it mildly, on all that there is to talk.

At Karjat, we were greeted by jovial volunteers of the Aasamant group, Santosh and Vaibhav, surrounded by the rest of the trekking family. For me, it was an 'out of the frying pan into the fire' kind of a situation as our designated rick to our Five Star Abode gave me a sore back. Strike one Frost!

After much struggle, we touched base at a typical desi style inn complete with no beds, no sofa, no TV, no AC and yes no bathrooms — even POWs get them these days man! Strike two Frost!

We found our sleeping spots and laid down our Rs 100 raj gaddis (sleeping mats). The spot turned out to be a nightmare for me as the person next to me started snoring. What supposed to be a four hour sleep turned into a five minute shuteye. Strike three Frost!

Next day kicked off with a hot cutting and biscuits (Anna’s chai 5/5 compared to this one). Before venturing out into the mountains, we had a formal round of introduction with the rest of the group.

My first piece of advice from Ms Frost (my mentor) was to speak less and use my nose to breathe - in short, to save energy and stay in silent mode. We were making our way through roads and gravel until we stopped for my first picture during the trek. It drizzled on and off which made the trek, the weather and the company even more pleasant. On our way, we saw glimpses of anthills, dragonflies, spideys and dogs. We missed seeing a small snake. :(

Before we reached our breakfast point, my left shoe had started to show signs of trouble. Well, at least the breakfast was yummy — spicy poha (Jain of course). Also at the same spot, I lifted Chelsea with a bullock cart. Displaying my super strength, I finally put an end to Frost’s famous dialogue: “Ek phook maroongi and saala tu udd jayega”. She uses the term Saala, with pyaar, of course.

The trek finally resumed after breakfast through proper hilly areas. I almost forgot to mention about our Lord of the Swings (Movin) snap at this particular point.


From hereon is where I felt the real trek had begun. I ran out of luck on hilly areas and lost my left shoe sole.

I learned a very important lesson as to how to use your hands and placing your foot while climbing and that sometimes it is necessary to take the right route even though it’s lengthy.

We reached Peth Fort and entered a cave-like place where there was a temple. About 50 steps later and we reached our final destination.

A guide explained in Marathi how the fort was actually captured and lost by Marathas in ancient times. Ms Frost and I were the only ones who couldn't understand Marathi (sorry Raj Thackeray) so we had to depend on Santosh translation.

The view at the pinnacle of Kothaligad is drop dead gorgeous. Surprisingly, we were also offered delicious cake by the Aasamant team right at the top.

After that the toughest part of my trek started — the descent — which earlier I had considered a piece of cake. By this time I had lost my left shoe with only the top covering remaining. My foot was wide open for bruises.

The first 15 steps going down were a bit scary. I feel I need another 2-3 more treks and I should overcome my fear of heights. I'd like to mention that I was a bit slow compared to my professional friends but it was fun nevertheless.

In Pain I Believe.

As per plan, I drew first blood after falling down which I am proud to say has given me a nice battle scar.

The agony continued to pile on as my second sole gave way. Now I was in a hurry to get down and finally get rid of my fucking shoes. The trek finally ended at the base at around 2pm.

Getting rid of my shoes was the highlight of my day.

After we changed our clothes I had to wait for my Special Jain Sabji for half an hour not before taking roti and rice and sitting idle, waiting for the sabji. The wait however, was worth it. That amazing Jain Spicy Sabji reminded me of my Grandpa’s place.

We reached Karjat station and I realised that I needed to buy chappals, Ms Frost forgot her rain coat, Vaibhav lost his glares and the worst was yet to come - a one day old friend lost his HTC Desire HD phone :P

But me, I got a lovely pair of chappals for 80 bucks and boarded the train back to Mumbai.

Things learned from my first trek

Trek Shoes: Be Wise, Don’t use LEVIS

Trek Bag: Carry light weight clothes. A proper trekking bag is also important for balance

At the end, I would like to thank Hobbit, who had been really helpful throughout the trek.

Three cheers to the Aasamant team made up of Santosh and Vaibhav for taking immense care of me and making sure I get tasty Jain food.

Last but not the least, Ms Frost for my first trekking experience, the unending Gujju jokes, Gujju galis (some new ones), fights, excellent insights, being the camera person and all in all for being a great friend.



Here’s to our first and many more adventures in the future.

- Riken (Edited by Chelsea, of course)

4 comments:

Theresa said...

Really liked this one!:)

Good one Riken!

Nosferatu said...

cld`nt post uor own view chelc.... data chor......

anywys like uor post linken...

Chelsea said...

it was his first post and his first trek! - i didnt want to steal his thunder!


Godd going rinken perk!

. said...

Riken can write alright! For the longest time I thought Chelsea wrote this one. Nevertheless loved it! So why is Chelsea Ms. Frost?


Neha Pinto