Wingardium Leviosa!

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Dec 15: The Pinkathon experience

4.15am - Early wake up call. It wasn't cold as such but I had to do a proper warm up as my legs were stiff. I always thought running the previous evening helped me in the morning. I guess when the temperature dips - that ain't true anymore. Lol.

So I began my warm up but I know I didn't put in a whole load of effort. I wanted to go for that Zumba bit at the Pinkathon but then didn't have time for it. When I finally reached the venue at BKC, I spent precious time trying to get the bib on my shirt and the timing chip through my laces. Worse crap was I could only thinking of murdering Oshu for chewing the tips of the laces - the damn things wouldn't go back in and I struggled like hell. By then I had like 15 minutes to unfreeze. Quick warm up plus I picked up some new stretching techniques from other women.

It was a fantastic experience and I saw the way my mind was playing. Not used to running with so many people around - it was great to see how people overtook me and how I reacted. When the race started my calves were a bit tight but I managed to pull through till I crossed the 2 mile mark. So many women zoomed past that for a second I worried if all my training was sufficient or not. I just put my head down and continued to focus cause I started to get demotivated.

Then there were some women who would run a bit and overtake me and then slow down and walk. Freaking pissed me off it did. I mean I know they haven't trained but they started affecting my psyche. Luckily, it drove me to move my feet even faster and get away from them. But that was really annoying.

I saw the lady from our area - man she was zooming in front. Very happy and proud of her. There were women of all shapes and sizes and it was a lovely feeling to not be worried about people and their glares.

I pushed a bit in the final 2 miles to increase my tempo. That final 100 metres - man I was so psyched!!! Crossing the finish line was a beautiful feeling and I hope I remember that always. (Well you're always there na :P)

I clocked the 10k in 1.14.04 - decent enough. Definitely could have been better. But it's better than most soo... I'm happy (: I timed myself on the phone which is about 40 seconds more...

1 mile: 12.25
2 miles: 12.37
3 miles: 12.21
4 miles: 11.16
5 miles: 11.16
6 miles: 11.25

Good race - not my best but it's the change in the weather and a brilliant reminder to start working out in the mornings going forward. I need to put in a hell of a lot more effort. Time's-a-tickin baby!

No comments: