Wingardium Leviosa!

Saturday, September 15, 2012

(Eye) was there... at Antarchakshu!

Today was a beautiful blessing. I got to experience something incredibly unique... Becoming sightless.

I'm half blind as it is without my glasses. And if someone were to turn off the lights without me in possession of my double batteries is downright petrifying. That's exactly what I felt as that's exactly what happened today.

St. Xavier's College (my alma mater) every year plays hosts to Antarchakshu aka The Eye Within, a sensitisation event organised by the XRCVC to wade through the waters that the visually challenged pass through each and every day.



The blind girl and her stick

Cal tried getting me to come for the festival last year but due to XYZ reasons I was unable to. This year, joining Cal, were Imran and Samantha who pitched in - "You should experience this. Make time for it and go".

I walked into Xavier's and at once the memories came flooding back with Rupam and Saloni and me running around acting mad, the first time I saw MAL, falling of the high risers and getting an applause, banana milkshake, the foyer, sitting in the woods, MALHAR... lol.

As I stood in line to get into the college hall which was covered by mysterious black curtains, I seriously was left wondering - What is going on? Someone could hurt themselves in there!

Today, I decided to wear my glasses and when they asked me to get rid of them I was apprehensive as I was in unfamiliar territory.

Anyway, I took them off (which I pinned to my blouse), I was given an eye mask to wear, they gave me a the white-tipped cane that visually impaired people use and was told to follow the voice as I walked into the black abyss.

SHIT.

That's like someone telling you to jump off a cliff - no rope attached.

I tried paying attention by listening to that omnipresent voice who kept urging me to use the stick as a guide. I cheated a bit during the first hurdle, by looking down with my eyes open, if I happened to touch anything with my feet - but then I realised - the whole purpose was defeated if I was going to win by cheating.

With some self counseling and motivation, I shut my eyes real tight and finished all the tasks in true spirit, but not before getting emotional.

Jatin, Ravi and Ashish

You see, when I was doing my Arts programme from Xavier's in 2001-02, Jatin and Ravi - were my classmates who were visually challenged. Rupam, Saloni and me used to assist them with note-taking, even becoming writers for them during exams. I grew to love being of service to them so much that I began to write a few exams for students even in Wilson College. I used to borrow their books and study as well. I know I shouldn't have but yeah, sue me. (:

Then came someone who has been a great role model and inspiration - Ashish Goyal. Of all the people in the world, I had the amazing opportunity to assist Ashish while he was preparing for his GMAT exams to study abroad. He is really a symbol for everyone sighted and non-sighted to take every hurdle thrown at them and learn how to turn it into a curve ball. Google him, if you want to read about his story.

When I was going through those hurdles, all those moments and interactions began hitting me one after the next in my sightless world. I remembered, at times, losing my patience if I was taking Ravi and Jatin to Marine Lines station when they weren't walking fast enough or if they were taking down their notes slowly in Braille. Even with Ashish - I would feel sleepy while reading out his questions to him and he would say, "Chelsea - stay alert!" I'd feel like a louse after that cause here was a guy who's gradually turned sightless and yet has the sharpest mind I've ever come across.

Today, I'm proud to say that because of their hard work and perseverance, Jatin works at Deloitte while Ravi is employed at Allahabad Bank. And Ashish - JPMorgan! I'm super proud of even knowing them, forget anything else. Kudos!

Learning to appreciate my poor vision

With laser surgery available for those of us who've got a number, the option seems easy. But now when I think about it, why do I need to get laser surgery done? I'm comfortable with my glasses. And honestly, I've grown to accept this nerdy professor look I've got going.

When there are those without vision but who make the most of life - why do I need to play with the little vision that God has given me?

Hey - if you got your eyes corrected, good for you. It's just not gonna be something I'll ever think about again, that's for sure.

Back to the maze

After the first task of walking through a road which had innumerable hurdles, the next task was to play football. Seriously, the sightless can kick a ball! I scored a goal today, just FYI.

From learning to identify the difference between Indian coins - the old Rs 5, 2 and 1 to the stupid new coins which even we, with full vision can't distinguish, to having a typing test on a computer which had voice recognition (I scored a zero - forgot what a keyboard looked like) to drawing a triangle on a particular piece of paper. But, the highlight for me was definitely walking on a tightrope in air!

After the maze, we were shown an audio-visual which talked about what life feels like for those without the gift of sight.

We were then taken through a series of posters of what visually challenged people go through daily, what systems are in place to help make their lives a little easier (be it home, school or work) and what more needs to be done. Would you believe the amount of progress that has been made to employ my friends? I was shocked. In fact, I could use a couple of them myself. All the special educators, volunteers and students were well versed with the latest technologies that are in place to hire them. It was really great to see everyone on the same page.

I also had the amazing opportunity to interact with two gentlemen - Sriram and Kailash who shared their remarkable stories and experiences and I hope I get down to chronicling them soon.

“He knows the water best who has waded through it.”

Going by this famous Danish proverb, students, ex-students, corporates were invited to come and experience these waters to see if they are calm, turbulent or lie somewhere in between.

To enhance our social responsibility of creating an inclusive society, what is needed is an expansion in our In-sight… and Antarchakshu did just that.

Highlighting the above theme, this year they focussed on accessibility in the following areas:

Education, Financial Services and Employment Opportunities.

With the theme - "Breaking Barriers, Achieving Access" - I left the event feeling they were successful in breaking barriers for at least one who considers herself partially sightless.

P.S: With the success of Antarchakshu at Xaviers, Mumbai, the event is going to take place at JNU in Delhi next month. I'll update this post when I get further updates and details but if you're based out of Delhi, do go as it will help you become more sensitive to their world.

Antarchakshu New Delhi 2012 will be held on 4, 5 and 6 October 2012 at the Jawaharlal Nehru University Convention Centre. The event will be inaugurated by Hon’ble Shri Mukul Wasnik, Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment, Government of India at 12pm on 4 October.

2012. The event will continue till 5.30pm on the same day; and will be held between 10am and 5.30pm on 5 and 6 October. To read more, click here

If you'd like to read more about Antarchakshu, XRCVC, St. Xavier's College, Ashish:

http://www.xrcvc.org/
http://www.xaviers.edu
http://iseeindia.com/2011/12/04/ashish-goyal/
http://aninsaneodyssey.blogspot.in/2007/12/here-we-begin.html

Few images of me from the event (:


Everyday in the life of a ...

Getting oriented with the dart board







Talking to the Head of the dept Prof Sam with class buddy Jatin and the old days



Interacting with Sriram

Epic fail at the keyboard



Taking a good shot blind folded


No comments: