Wingardium Leviosa!

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Saving Children. Saving Chelsea - Part II







A year since my last visit to Save the Children India. Feels like home every time I drop by. They remind me of my long lost youth and how not fit I am today. Lol.

I envy their strength, their ability to keep on smiling against all the odds stacked against them. What's amazing is the rapport and camaraderie they share among themselves. Boys and Girls. Some of them are close to puberty but still very affectionate and respectful towards each other.

All these children don't have wealth and material benefits of the privileged. These are children still being children. I'm telling you, playing dodgeball with them - EPIC. I haven't played dodgeball in decades (aii guh!) and for the record I used to be awesome. Now I just 'plain old' sucked eggs, big time. Heh.

We had a short presentation where we were taken through Save the Children's work. They focus on developmental disabilities which is further broken into learning disabilities and intellectual disabilities. They do an assessment of the child before they taken them in to see with which grade of children they'd fit in. They also have a tie-up with a doctor from a reputed institution who does cochlear implants for these kids - free of cost.



                                   

If you know anyone who has kids who is showing signs of a hearing or learning impairment, you can bring them here and they can guide you as to how to get the best done for the child. Their other fields of work involves, human trafficking, supporting children's rights, equal health and nutrition, setting up Balwadis, advocates for changes in social policy and lots more.

They also showed us this really amazing video called Chotu CEO, a campaign by Save the Children which showcases the reality of Children as labourers and how most of us in the corporate field are guilty (probably an unconscious bias) of encouraging child employment. Back to School! You can read about the campaign here. Considering we all personally know a lot of chotu's in real life, this is sure to strike a deep chord within you. I hope it encourages you to do something about this.

We did the annual painting and drawing. This year's theme was 'Clean India, Green India'. I concede to what Mous said a while back - I have a competitive streak - it's a little less now, but it's still hanging there. The three kids under my care - one of them, Hamza, was someone who I'd taken under my wing last year. I wish I could bring him home - really is such a sweetheart. Partik and Abhujer were the other two boys. We had some great fun colouring and painting around the theme. My little Hamza had broken his glasses and kept straining. I offered him mine and he giggled. When the top five paintings were announced, Abhujer got 5th place and my Hamza came in 3rd. I couldn't have preened any less. They were so happy to get a hug and a hand shake. Bless their hearts.

We had another young Miss who sang patriotic songs for us - she performed last year too and she is an absolute delight. A colleague got a visually challenged friend of his to play the flute. He played these old Hindi classics which really touched all the volunteers but which definitely impacted the children the most.

I want to mention our Mumbai Corporate Responsibility Coordinator Melinda Serrao out here. I'm sure she is a brilliant Auditor at PwC India but I also want to acknowledge the fact that she is such a big hearted, kind, soft spoken angel who loves her Corporate Responsibility work as much as she loves being a professional. She has responsibilities like any other person - aging parents and in-laws, marriage, kids, home chores, church work - but she makes time. Kudos, Mel  - you are such an inspiration. I really appreciate all that you do.

There are often times when I hear friends talk about their able bodied children and the tough times they are facing at home. Here are kids who've gone through so much, coming from tough livelihoods and who've got a tougher journey ahead of them. We need to remember our blessings always, remember where we come from and remember to always give back to people who need it the most.

I remember NVJ asking me once about why I didn't give food instead of money to a child begging as she'd give it to her parents who may not feed her / they will spend it on cigarettes / drugs etc. A) I would have bought her something and given her that if anything was open at midnight. B) I have given her the money and informed her to buy food - what she does with that knowledge is for her to make that choice between right and wrong. I've stopped wondering if all I do and give is actually making an impact on the environment or people. I do because it is important for us all to do - to be part of the solution.

Keep on giving. No expectations. No regrets.

No comments: